This Yom HaShoah, J Street U Director Sarah Turbow, a granddaughter of Survivors, shared some thoughts on commemorating the day. Share to join us in saying–and meaning–“Never Again”.
“Things I would appreciate people do on Yom HaShoah:
- Not compare Israel to the Nazis
- Not compare Iran to the Nazis
- Not use the Holocaust to justify the occupation
- Find this deeply upsetting and problematic: “There are 189,000 Holocaust survivors in Israel, 45,000 of them living in poverty, the Foundation for the Benefit of Holocaust Victims says in its annual report.”
- Not declare Israel as the only safe and right place for Jewish people to live.
- Not compare my president to Neville Chamberlain.
- Recommit themselves to the work of making this world safer and more just for all peoples, everywhere.”