At J Street, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our mission of promoting US policies that advance justice, equality, peace, and democracy in Israel, in the wider region, and in the United States as well. We recognize that these values are rooted in our Jewish and democratic traditions and reflect our commitment to the people and the state of Israel.
We strive to create a culture of respect and belonging where everyone can bring their full selves to our work. We welcome and celebrate the diversity of our staff, board, supporters, partners, and allies across dimensions of identity such as race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, ability, nationality, and political affiliation.
We acknowledge that we live in a society that has been shaped by systemic oppression and discrimination. We are committed to challenging and dismantling these structures within our organization and in our advocacy. We seek to foster an environment where everyone can learn, grow and contribute to our shared vision.
We recognize that diversity, equity, and inclusion are ongoing processes that require constant reflection and action. We are open to feedback and accountability from our stakeholders and from each other. We are dedicated to continuous improvement and innovation in our policies, practices, and programs.
We believe that by embracing diversity, equity, and inclusion, we can strengthen our movement, amplify our impact and achieve our goals.
We foster a culture that values and supports diversity by committing to the following:
- Setting achievable equity and inclusion goals, then holding ourselves accountable to our colleagues and supporters;
- Strengthening our commitment to building diverse and effective teams through analyzing the organization’s recruitment process and putting in place operating procedures that are sensitive to and supportive of diversity, including broadening recruitment venues and involving staff at all levels in recruitment and hiring;
- We value diversity in outlook and career experience. We do so because we believe that individuals should be valued for who they are and the expansive qualities and skills they bring to the organization.
- Creating an environment that nurtures belonging by understanding the needs and priorities of our colleagues through collecting feedback from current and former staff, addressing key issues;
- Developing a staff that values and honors diversity by providing opportunities for learning and engagement;
- Ensuring internal policies and procedures take into account unique experiences and backgrounds of our staff; and
- Maintaining ongoing dialogue with partners in our communities to educate ourselves in areas where we are striving to grow and helping to provide a platform to advance their goals.